Snipe-IT for Jira
Open source asset management in Jira
Head to the settings within Jira. Note that administrator privileges are required to access the settings.
In the menu on the left side, navigate to “Find new apps” under the “apps” category. Search for “Snipe-IT”, wait until the entry “Snipe-IT for Jira” is shown and proceed to “Install” the app.
Do you want to migrate your data from Atlassian’s Snipe-IT beta app to “Snipe-IT for Jira”? No problem! When you setup your new app, your linked Snipe-IT assets from the old beta app will be automatically migrated. Then, you can uninstall the beta app without losing any asset history.
Setting up your connection to Snipe-IT
Once the app has been installed, proceed to configure the app either by clicking on the “Configure” button in the app listing or navigating to the Snipe-IT configuration in the Jira app setting menu.
Jira settings > Apps > Snipe-IT for Jira > Configuration
Enter the URL of your Snipe-IT instance and an API key. You can generate an API key in the Snipe-IT web interface (https://snipeitapp.com/), by going to your account dropdown in the top right and clicking on “Manage API Keys”:
Create a new “Token” and give it an arbitrary name, e.g. “Snipe-IT for Jira”. Copy the Token into the “API key” field in the configuration of Snipe-IT for Jira.
Once you confirm the URL and API key by clicking on “Check connection and Save”, the app will check if it can connect to your Snipe-IT instance and proceed to sync all assets with Jira.
The app will sync all assets from Snipe-IT to Jira once an hour. You can also start a sync manually by clicking on the “Run manually” button in the configuration.
Using assets in Jira issues
With our app you can link your Snipe-IT assets to Jira issues. To make the asset field visible in certain Jira issues you need to add an asset (custom) field. Setting up this field varies between next-gen and classic.
Setting up asset field in next-gen service desk projects
- Go to Project > Project settings > Request types
- Click Show more > Assets in the Create a field section
- Enter display name (e.g. Linked assets)
- Save changes
Setting up asset field in classic projects
By default, a “Linked assets” custom field is created that can be added to any screens where assets are being used.
- Go to Jira settings > Issues > Custom fields
- Search for “Linked assets”
- Click on the three-dots-menu
- Associate the field “Linked assets” to the desired screen(s)
- You can also add multiple asset custom fields and limit which Snipe-IT asset categories are used within them. To achieve this, configure the custom field and click on “Edit Filters”, where you can add categories the field should use.
- The assignee in the “Linked asset” field can only be displayed if the Email address of the Jira user matches the Email address of the Snipe-IT user.
- Sometimes it happens that the custom field was not created automatically. If you can’t find the custom field “Linked assets”, you can create it on your own following these steps:
- Got to Jira > Jira settings > Issues > Custom fields
- Click Create custom field > Advanced > Assets > Next
- Give the custom field an arbitrary name, e.g. “Linked assets”
- Click “Create”
Using the “Assets of Reporter” glance in Jira issues
The “Assets of Reporter” glance is a field that displays all assets which are assigned to the reporter of a ticket. You can easily click through all assets directly from the Jira ticket. It’s possible to edit the status and the assignee of every asset.
Note: The email address of the Jira user must match the email address of the Snipe-IT user, to detect the correct Snipe-IT assignee in Jira.
This is how you make the “Assets of Reporter” glance visible in your Jira project
- Navigate to the Snipe-IT for Jira configuration page: Jira settings > Apps > Snipe-IT for Jira > Configuration
- Under “Show the “Assets of Reporter” glance in projects” you can select the project where the field should be visible
- Open an issue in the project where you enabled the “Assets of Reporter” glance -> The field “Snipe-IT for Jira” should be visible and display the number of assets which are assigned to the reporter
- Click on “Assets of Reporter” to get more details.
Display Snipe-IT custom fields in the asset details view of your Jira issues
1. Navigate to the Snipe-IT for Jira configuration page: Jira settings > Apps > Snipe-IT for Jira > Configuration
2. In the menu item “Show custom fields in asset details” select in the dropdown the custom fields that should be displayed
If you encounter any issues, feel free to contact our support team. We usually reply within one business day.