Mastering Bulk Cloning in Jira Cloud with Deep Clone:
A Comprehensive Guide for Administrators and Users
Managing projects efficiently is crucial for Jira administrators, especially when it comes to bulk cloning issues in Jira Cloud or migrating them between different environments. In this article, we will explore how Deep Clone for Jira’s Bulk Clone feature can streamline and simplify these critical tasks. Whether you are an Atlassian Solution Partner, Software Consultant, Jira Cloud Admin, or Jira User, this tool can be instrumental in improving your workflow.
Versatility of Bulk Cloning: Understanding When and How to Utilize Deep Clone for Jira
The Bulk Clone feature in Jira is not just a convenience but often a necessity for many project managers and teams. One common scenario where our customers find immense value in this feature is when they deal with repetitive sets of issues they want to copy consistently. But it’s not just limited to that; if your team is transitioning from a team-managed project to a company-managed project type, the Bulk Clone feature can clone and move all issues to the new project seamlessly. Mergers and acquisitions present another compelling use case. When companies are acquired, they may need to consolidate their cloud instances, working on a unified platform. In such settings, the Instance Clone feature comes to the rescue, enabling the smooth migration of issues from one Jira cloud instance to another. In essence, whether it’s the routine bulk copying of issues or more complex organizational shifts, the Bulk Clone feature of Deep Clone for Jira, can be instrumental in simplifying and streamlining the process.
User-Friendly Tool: Deep Clone can be operated by any Jira User
Deep Clone for Jira offers a simple and intuitive tool that enables any Jira user to perform bulk cloning operations effortlessly in Jira Cloud. With this tool at their disposal, Jira administrators no longer need to handle such tasks exclusively, freeing up their valuable time for more critical responsibilities. The installation of Deep Clone for Jira is all it takes to get started with cloning without any additional configurations.
Step-by-Step Guide: Bulk Cloning Issues in Jira Cloud using Deep Clone for Jira
- Navigate to Filters > View all issues in your Jira Cloud instance.
- Apply the desired filters to identify the issues you want to bulk clone.
- Locate the Deep Clone button, conveniently placed in the top-right corner, and click on it.
- Select the target project where you wish to clone the issues. Alternatively, utilize the Deep Clone Project Clone feature for cloning project configurations.
- Configure your clone in the Bulk Clone Dialog. For instance, select which fields you want to clone or select fields to edit in the Deep Clone Field Editor.
- Initiate the cloning process.
As evident from the step-by-step guide, setting up a bulk clone of multiple issues from one project to another can be accomplished within minutes. Once the Clone Job is underway, you can focus on other tasks since it runs in the background. Feel free to close your browser or even turn off your computer while the Bulk Clone process continues.
Watch our Demo video “How to Bulk Clone“.
Preparing for a Large Bulk Clone in Jira Cloud with Deep Clone for Jira
Bulk Cloning in Jira Cloud with Deep Clone for Jira is a straightforward process, but to ensure a smooth cloning experience, it’s essential to consider the following points, especially when cloning between different projects or Jira cloud instances:
- Verify Field Configurations: When cloning from one project to another or between instances, ensure that all issue fields and their values are configured with identical spelling in the target project or instance. Consistency in field configurations is vital for successful cloning. If the target project needs to have the same project type and fields as the source project, you should consider using the Project Clone feature. This option simplifies the process and ensures that the target project closely mirrors the source project.
- Cloning the Issue Status: If you intend to clone the issue status, it is recommended to set up a workflow in the target project that allows transitions between all status. Alternatively, you can use an interim workflow that can be adjusted after the cloning process is completed.
- Managing Notifications: To prevent an excessive number of notifications being sent to users during the cloning process, it is advisable to disable notifications in the target project while the clone is in progress. This way, users won’t be overwhelmed with unnecessary notifications.
By keeping these considerations in mind and addressing the potential challenges associated with bulk cloning, you can ensure a successful and hassle-free cloning process in Jira Cloud using Deep Clone for Jira. You can read more about migrating issues between projects and instances in our documentation.
Empowering Jira Admins with Advanced Control and Monitoring Capabilities
While Deep Clone for Jira offers user-friendly functionality, administrators may prefer to exercise control over Bulk Clone operation. Hence, we offer multiple methods to restrict access to Deep Clone features, giving administrators the freedom to control cloning activities with precision and enhance overall security.
Admins can keep track of ongoing and completed Clone Jobs in the Clone History. Here, you’ll find comprehensive logs detailing cloning statuses, warnings, and errors for unsuccessful clones. Gain access to valuable information to address any potential issues effectively.
If you want to integrate Deep Clone into your automated workflows, you can work with the Deep Clone Post-Function. This feature enables the cloning of issues during workflow transitions, streamlining your processes and promoting efficiency.
With Deep Clone for Jira, administrators can exercise robust control and monitoring, ensuring a seamless and secure cloning experience.
More Advantages when Bulk Cloning with Deep Clone for Jira
- Clone most issue values: Deep Clone for Jira offers a remarkably powerful tool capable of copying a wide range of issue values, including comments, attachments, Jira forms, and data from other Marketplace applications.
- Enterprise-Ready Performance: Deep Clone for Jira is optimized for enterprise customers, allowing bulk cloning of up to 100,000 issues in a single Clone Job.
- Unwavering Security and Stability: Security and stability are top priorities in Deep Clone for Jira. The tool is cloud fortified for cloud usage and is available in multiple geographical locations, ensuring robust performance and data integrity. To learn more about our comprehensive security and privacy strategy, visit our trust page.
Coming Soon: Presets for Bulk Clones
We are excited to announce that we are currently working on introducing Presets for Bulk Clones. With Presets, you can define and save specific settings for your Bulk Cloning operations, eliminating the need to reconfigure for each new Bulk Clone.
Send me an update when Presets for Bulk Clones with Deep Clone for Jira are available.
This guide illustrates not only how simple and versatile it is to Bulk Clone issues in Jira Cloud but also how the Bulk Clone feature caters to various scenarios ranging from routine tasks to complex organizational migrations. By providing a user-friendly interface, detailed guidance and robust administrative controls, Deep Clone for Jira stands as a vital tool for all Jira users, administrators, and organizations aiming for seamless project management. Whether you are new to bulk cloning or an experienced user, Deep Clone for Jira ensures a successful and hassle-free experience.